Josh and I met about 6 years ago. My cousin Luke actually introduced us. Josh and Luke went to school together. Josh had just moved to Thomasville from Marietta, GA.
Luke invited him to church and came with him from what I still remember was D.O.W (Dinner on Wednesdays). When I met him I didn't really think much, besides the typical "he's cute." My focus since I was 16 was God, and only God! I have always wanted to get married, have kids, etc..but I knew that God was in control of that, so I was just going to trust him. I had several commitments that I wanted. 1. No kissing before we got married 2. I didn't really want to date just because. If I was going to start dating someone it was going to be a serious relationship. I guess I'm just not one to "fool" around. Josh and I didn't really talk much. We served together in our Youth Churches internship, and even went on a lot of youth trips. We liked to hang out together, but we weren't super close or anything. I kind of just wrote him of as "bad news." haha! I know that sounds weird, but I knew too many people that liked him, and I just figured he was kind of a player (f.y.i. he knows all about this, because I told him that’s what I thought. About three years had passed and he had moved to Valdosta to go to VSU. He would come back to church every ones in awhile. My sisters always noticed, because they thought he was so cute.
The beginning of 2005 several friends and I would go to the park after church, eat play soccer, baseball, etc. One day Josh showed up (came with some friends), I hadn't seen him in forever and we started talking, tossed a football around (lol).A few days had passed and I randomly received an e-mail from Josh Nealey. He consisted of 4 words, "Are you spoken for?" - Josh Nealey. I about rolled out of my chair with laughter and a little bit of confusion. I called a good friend of mine up and told her, she of coursed laughed and assumed he was probably wondering if I was dating anyone. I waited a day and wrote him back that I wasn't dating anyone, if that was what he meant. He wrote me back explaining that he wasn't sure how Christian families did the whole dating thing or if they picked out our spouse. I once again about peed my pants. He was serious about it all to. I couldn't help but right back that my parents were going to let me pick my own husband. That we didn't follow a Hindu religion. haha! The letters continued for over a month and he shared about how he always had feelings towards me, and of course I shared my commitments to him, and how I wasn't really looking for anyone to date just to have someone to date. I was a little nervous when writing him that because I wasn't sure what his reactions would me. I had told a few other guys and one pretty much argued with me and thought I was stupid, and well the other one pretty much ran. lol! So, when telling him I kind of figured he would run too. He replied how awesome that was and he admired me even more for it. A big sigh of relief came over me and we continued to talk and see each other at church for about two months. Easter Sunday was a first "date"! He came over and had dinner with me and my family. Okay, okay, I know that really isn't a date, but I wanted to see how he was with people, my family and see how my family felt about him. To settle you down a little bit we did end up having a real date about a month later.
In the middle of June, Josh had been gone to Atlanta allot working and visiting his dad. He had come back to Valdosta for a weekend and had asked me if my sister and I would want to go to the beach for the day. Of course I was up for it, but thought it was real sweet he included my sister. Bekah's best friend Sarah came along with us and we headed up to Destin for the day. He had everything packed: Lunches, towels, everything we needed. A little before sunset Josh asked me if I wanted to take a walk. Little did I know this walk was going to be a very, very long walk, but also a walk into a new path of my life!
The sunset was beautiful at the time, but we had walked a pretty far way and I was a little worried about Bekah and Sarah (them two together, you never know what might take place). I suggested we head back and he agreed, but asked if we could sit for a minute. It was strange, but I agreed. We sat and he was just rambiling, about what I am not sure, I did notice he was real nervous. I thought maybe he was going to talk to me about something, but then he stood up and said "okay, you ready to go back?" We headed back and had a long way to go. After about 3 mins, I noticed a girl watching the sunset with a boyfriend I assumed, and she was holding a few yellow rose pedals. I thought "aww, how sweet." Then I noticed the yellow pedals running along the water (where we were walking). Josh didn't say a word, but we just kept walking hand-in-hand. As we kept walking the pathway of rose pedals turned to pink, and a little further they had turned red. I knew something was up because Josh was smiling, but he still didn't say a word. The final path was red roses; they lead up towards the sand that then was an aisle of lit candles in the sand. He walked me up to it and at this point I was so confused, but knew something was definitely up because I saw my sister running up towards the car. He told me to walk to the end of the isle were there was a beautiful small chest I opened it and noticed a ring holder. I immediately was full of confusion, joy, butterflies, I opened it up and there was nothing in it, turned around and found Josh on his knees. Ok, going to be honest now. He said a whole bunch of stuff and I am sure it was all lovely, but my mind was racing a mile a second and I barely remember anything. I did catch why he chose the colors of roses: Yellow= meeting Pink= Friendship Red=Love. He asked me to marry him and of course I said "Yes!" (Just in case you were wondering). I noticed a huge cheer of people, and was a little afraid to turn around to see who actually was all here, then I noticed we were right next to a tiki bar the was real high up and tons of people had been watching us. It was quite hilarious.
We met my sister and Sarah and I called my family. Josh took us out to dinner that night before we headed back home.
This is a moment in my life I will never forget (and just in case my sister actually videotaped the whole thing. You can see us, but you only hear her and Sarah's narrating..Quite funny), little did I know saying Yes was going to be the start of a new and wonderful life for me!
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Awwww...I never knew the whole story of how you two met and decided to get married--so romantic. You should totally post the video of the marriage proposal! Thanks for sharing this lovely story. It sounds like it should be in a Chicken Soup book for romantics.
ReplyDeleteWow... That is so amazing! I LOVED getting to read this! Thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDelete