Monday, August 3, 2009

Being a women I often find myself longing to be swoon, and sometimes I expect my husband to do something, and when it doesn't happen it often leaves me let down. My husband it definitely the love of my life, and is my other half, but I often find myself longing for more.
I am reading this book by Angela Thomas called" Do you think I'm Beautiful." I'm not quite done with it, but in one of the chapters entitled "The other lover" really spoke to me.

"The women are a mystery that the man can't unlock. Her desires seem to him like a moving target. He can't ever seem to get it right. He can't figure out how to be enough to please her...to make her happy...to keep her heart swooning. It's not that he shouldn't try. It's just that you and I must understand: the man will never be all that you need.
The man that you love is just a man. He may be your soul mate. He is possibly your best friend. He may be hunky and funny and surprising and strong, but he will never- not in a million years, not if he goes to relationship therapy twice a week and keeps every promise ever written-be enough to fill your soul...he will never make you whole.
He wasn't made to be enough. He could not be even if he tried. He is just a man, and he can give only as a man and interact as a man and love as a man. He wasn't designed to full the depth of a woman's longing, anticipate every need, and jump through ever hoop. He can't. Those deep places inside you were made for God. The man is simply a vessel. God uses him to give you a part of the filling of His holy love. But he is not the only vessel, nor is he able to fill you from his own strength, not is he the only thing you will ever need. Are you hearing this? There will never be a man on the face of the earth who can make you whole. Being filled in the depths of you souls is only about the love of God...knowing Him..hearing His voice...believing that He's wild about you...dancing in His arms. The man's responsibility is to be the vessel and to be a good one. He is called to listen to God and if you realize that the vessel us just a man, there can be an amazing exchange of healthy love. Through the man you can taste a part of the love that God has for you. Your responsibility with the man is to let him be just that. He is not your girlfriend. He is not perfect, and he never will be. He is not your Savior. He is not your fillings, nor is he the answer to all your longings. You must let him be fallen and forgiven and in process. You must mistake his opinions for the opinions of God. No matter what the man says or doesn't say, God is still wild about you. We must realize that there will never be healthy love between a woman and a man until she comes to rest and find her being in the great love of God. God's love gives wisdom in discerning the man. God's love gives direction and patience and hope. God's love lets us smile at the man's quirks, just as God smiles at ours.
I hope that you have learned that a good man can be wonderful, but he can never be enough, and he can never make you whole. You and I were made for even more. We were made for God."


Maybe I am alone in this, but I have a feeling I'm not. I think that has something to do with a lot of the divorce rate in our country. Not 100% , but some of it. Women desire to be loved, romanced and so much more, and we expect men to do so...but they are only man, they are destine to fail. And when they do, we women lose hope. This saying also in the same book really shows how women long for this love. "Women can lust for relationship with the same intensity that men lust for sex. We can take what was intended for good and make it an idol."
The only thing that will give us hope is God. He is the only thing that can make us whole and fulfill ALL the needs we have and long for. "You have been made by God, for God, and apart from Him there will always be emptiness in your soul."

I have been guilty of many of this. Putting my husband in the role of the romancer, the lover, and filling my every need and to be honest he has failed, and that has left me feel empty. It isn't his fault, it's mine, he is only man! Like the book said he is a vessel to show the love of God to me, but he is only man, and will fail many times. But God never does. I am learning everyday to allow God to fill those areas my husband can't. I know it will make a much happier me, and my husband will be much happier too :)

1 comment: